|Kips Information Technology Class 10
|Unit-4 Web Applications and Security
|25 Protecting Health and Safety at Work
|Other Chapters Solutions
|Kips IT Class 10 Solutions
- A. Select the correct option.
- B. Fill in the Blanks.
- C. Answer the following questions.
- What are workplace hazards? Why is it important to identify and monitor hazards at the workplace?
- Give any three examples of workplace hazards.
- When does it become necessary to evacuate a workplace?
- Mention any three tips for healthy living of working people.
- What are the benefits of a workplace helping its employees to make wise food choices and active living?
A. Select the correct option.
1. A workplace hazard refers to a situation within the workplace that has the potential to cause Injure people and Damage equipment.
- Injure people
- Damage equipment
- Both a and b
2. Some of the hazardous physical agents at a workplace include Radiation.
3. One of the most important ways of avoiding potential injuries during work is Identifying possible hazards before accidents occur.
- Taking action after the accident
- Identifying possible hazards before accidents occur
- Ignoring accidents
4. During the development of an evacuation plan, one must think about The possible emergency situations and Complying with the safety standards.
- The possible emergency situations
- Complying with the safety standards
- Both a and b
5. Healthy snacks at a workplace include Fruits and nuts.
- Fruits and nuts
B. Fill in the Blanks.
1. A Hazard is any agent that can cause harm or damage to human life, property, or the environment.
2. Unhealthy practices at work like sitting for long hours and incorrect posture can cause stress injuries to muscles or bones.
3. A good workplace Health program results in long term health and wellness amongst the employees.
4. Good health and fitness require a Long-term commitment and discipline.
5. Apart from physical health, a Mental health program should also be created for the employees.
C. Answer the following questions.
What are workplace hazards? Why is it important to identify and monitor hazards at the workplace?
A hazard is any agent that can cause harm or damage to human life, property, or the environment. A workplace hazard refers to a situation within the workplace that has the potential to cause injury or adverse health effects for people and damage to the plant or equipment. Hazards are present at every workplace and can occur due to a wide number of reasons.
At times, even with proper safety measures taken by the employers, workers still suffer injuries or illness due to some common hazards. Identifying these hazards at the workplace and educating the employees regarding avoiding potential injuries or illnesses during work can enhance their safety.
Every workplace has its own unique environment and equipment. It is important that all potential emergency situations, like accidents, injuries, and health issues should be anticipated and identified so as to be prepared with a proper response plan, when and if such incidences occur. This will result in controlling the threats to human life and damage to property. It should not be just a one-time activity but an ongoing process. Proper planning will result in an effective safety and health program at the workplace.
Give any three examples of workplace hazards.
Exposure to Chemicals that are Hazardous to Health
• Hazardous chemicals or particulates absorbed by the skin, inhaled by a person or ingested by mistake can result in various adverse reactions, like skin problems, respiratory illness or even blindness
• Explosive or inflammable material, like alcohol-based cleaners may lead to fire
Exposure to Infectious Biological Agents
• Accidental exposure to microorganisms, like viruses, bacteria, or allergens
• By coming in contact with the infected animals, insects, or harmful plants
• Insufficiently-lit areas may result in accidental falls and trips
• Improperly-controlled temperature and humidity or inadequate ventilation at the workplace results in health issues
When does it become necessary to evacuate a workplace?
At the workplace, emergencies may arise due to several hazards. Often, the best protection in an emergency is to move out from where one is and shift to a safer place.
When there are emergencies, like fires, hazardous chemical spills, radiation leakages, terrorism threats, or some health crisis, the workplace may need to be evacuated.
For example, when a building catches fire, everyone in it must leave it and move out to a pre-decided safe area. The employers must advise their employees on evacuation procedures as a part of their training in order to minimise the damage caused by emergency situations.
Mention any three tips for healthy living of working people.
Eating Healthy: It is said, ‘You are what you eat’. Having a healthy breakfast in the morning, lunch that is nutritious and avoiding junk and fried food are some of the key factors in maintaining one’s health. Having a well-balanced and healthy diet is important to avoid potential health problems and issues. Instead of having junk food as snacks, employees should have fruits, nuts, or other healthy food to stay in good health.
Maintaining Cleanliness and Hygiene: Office desks, copy machines, computer screens, and keyboards as well as mobile screens are some of the places that have a lot of microbes, which may cause infections. These and the other objects at the workplace must be cleaned regularly, using surface disinfectants and sanitising wipes. One must wash one’s hands regularly with soap to stay healthy and germ-free.
Maintain Distance from Sick Employees: One must avoid close contact with the employees who are suffering from some illness or disease to avoid getting infected with a communicable disease. Also, in case you are sick, you must stay at home to avoid infecting others.
Conclusion: Good health and fitness cannot be achieved overnight, which is why it is important to incorporate positive habits into your daily routine. This requires a long-term commitment and discipline, but will lead to a lot of benefits in terms of mental and physical wellbeing. Including these tips in day-to-day routine will help you in staying fit and fine.
What are the benefits of a workplace helping its employees to make wise food choices and active living?
When a workplace helps its employees to make wise food choices and active living, it leads to the following:
• Reduced risk of heart and other deadly diseases
• Motivation to work, good mood, high energy, and self-esteem
• Healthy living helps in reducing anxiety and stress
• Good mood leads to spending quality time with family and friends
The availability of healthy food at the workplace, like fresh fruits and dry fruits, healthy snacks, juices, and healthy food in the canteen as well as during official programs and meetings can establish a culture of eating healthy at the workplace. This would, in turn, result in employees making healthy food choices in their personal life too.