|Kips Information Technology Class 9
|Unit-3 Information and Communication Technology Skills
|11 Operating Systems
|Other Chapters Solutions
|Kips IT Class 9 Solutions
- A. Fill in the Blanks:
- B. State True or False:
- C. Answer the Following Questions:
- What is Linux? Discuss a few features of Linux.
- What is a Screensaver?
- What is Recycle Bin in Windows? How to empty it?
- How to setup system date and time in Windows.
- Define Icon. Mention some of the important icons present on Windows 7 desktop.
A. Fill in the Blanks:
1. Windows is a very popular operating system because of its User-friendly environment.
2. Desktop is the first screen displayed after switching-on windows.
3. Notification area at the right side of the taskbar includes a clock and group of icons.
4. Small graphic symbols displayed on the desktop are called Icons.
5. Recycle Bin is used by Windows computers to store deleted items.
B. State True or False:
1. Start button is located on the extreme right side of the Taskbar on the Windows desktop. – TRUE
2. The desktop background is called the Wallpaper. – TRUE
3. Linux operating system was developed by Microsoft Corporation. – FALSE
4. Ubuntu is a free open-source Linux operating systems. – TRUE
C. Answer the Following Questions:
What is Linux? Discuss a few features of Linux.
Linux is the operating system that is available free of cost. It was developed by Linus Torvalds on 5th October 1991. Linux has become most popular because it is freely available, easy to use and operate and also
• allows users to work on many programs at the same time.
• Linux is Portable, means software can works on different types of hardware in same way. Linux kernel and application programs supports their installation on any kind of hardware platform.
• Linux is a multiuser system means multiple users can access system resources like memory/ ram/ application programs at same time.
What is a Screensaver?
A screensaver is a computer application that blanks the screen of the computer when it is inactive or fills it with images or patterns to avoid phosphor burn-in on plasma and CRT monitors.
What is Recycle Bin in Windows? How to empty it?
The Recycle Bin is used by Windows computers to store deleted items. It temporarily stores files and folders before they are permanently deleted. You can open the Recycle Bin by double-clicking the icon on the Windows desktop. The Recycle Bin window allows you to delete items individually or restore them to their original location. If you want to permanently remove all items in the Recycle Bin, select “Empty the Recycle Bin” in the left sidebar of the window.
How to setup system date and time in Windows.
• Click on the clock in the icon tray at the bottom right of your computer screen.
• This should show the clock, date and calendar. Click on Change date and time settings… to get the Date and Time menu. (Alternatively, use Start > Control Panel > Date and Time.)
• Click on Change time zone and select your time zone.
• When you have the correct time zone, check that the time displayed in the Date & Time tab is correct. If not, change
it and click Apply.
• When complete, click on OK.
Define Icon. Mention some of the important icons present on Windows 7 desktop.
Small graphic symbols displayed on the desktop are called icons. Windows uses many objects that have specific functions such as: Files, Programs, Computer, Folders, Network Neighborhood /Network, Shortcuts, and Recycle Bin. Icons play a very important role in Graphical User Interface.
Some of the important icons present on Windows 7 desktop are: Computer, Favorites, Libraries, Network, Recycle Bin, Shortcut Files & Folders.